Thursday, February 09, 2006

Borland to sell of IDE tools - including Delphi, JBuilder

Link

It will be the end of an era for me when Borland sells off it's core IDE line. I have been a user of Borland products since the late 80's. I learnt to program using Turbo Pascal 5.5 and Turbo C/C++ 1.0. These were great products and were well ahead of their competition of the day.

Infact Borland were THE dev tools company. The introduction of Delphi in 1995 only confirmed this. I was in awe of Delphi 1.0 it really was an amazing product. I have used Delphi ever since.

I don't think the brass at Borland really knew what they had in the early 90's. They changed their name to Inprise trying to corner the enterprise market, and they even put out an Office competitor. In reality they were a tools company.

As a Delphi developer in the last few years I have been a little disappointed with Borland. I can only assume how C++ Builders feel. Delphi 8 was truely bad, 2005 although being good had a lot of problems,and I haven't even bothered with 2006 to this point.

So, is the selling of Borland's IDE line up a good or bad thing?
It's hard to say at this point, but I have a feeling it can only be positive. Hopefully the buyer will find the passion that Borland had in the early years. As long time Delphi, CBuilder, JBuilder users we deserve it.

No comments: